Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Greatest Hot Dog of All Time

So, first welcome to our non-sensical blog! This is an interesting little experiment that Sean and I are trying out to chronicle our transition to the big city. The posts will be on various (read: really random) topics, including food, travel, books, and a special segment I'd like call "Mole And the City".
Since we are in the 'burgh until mid-January we will begin our story there....

Yesterday I finished the last revisions on my thesis and turned it in. This was cause for celebration because I had slaved over that document for 2 solid weeks, turning my life (and Sean's sleep schedule) completely upside down. As a reward for my hard work, Sean offered to take me out for a well deserved meal of food. But where to go....oh the choices are endless in Pittsburgh, the gastronomic capital of Appalachia. And so we settled on one of our favorite places....
SONIC.
Yes, the awesome, drive-up, fast-food joint that lies about 20 miles outside of the city of Pittsburgh. We like to combine these trips with grocery shopping at none other than Wal-Mart. Classy, I know.

I want to share with you my thoughts on my all-time favorite food from Sonic. It's not the fun flavored drinks, or the tater tots that really get me going, but it's actually their Chicago Hot Dog. Ahh-maz-ing. Truly, this thing is so delicious. And I normally hate all hot dogs. I can't stand the ends of hot dogs, so I normally leave those nubbins in my napkin, or feed them to Mole. But this Chicago Hot Dog has changed all of that. I eat every last morsel, and would probably get another if Sean wasn't around to judge me.

What exactly is a Chicago Hot Dog? You may be wondering.....

It is "a water-simmered all beef frankfurter" that is laid down on a soft poppy-seed bun. Those poppy seeds are an essential part of the CHD experience. As for toppings, native Chicagoans have shunned ketchup (or catsup as Sean would say) from their hot dogs. I'm okay with this. They replace that tomato flavor with actual, juicy slices of tomatoes, along with sweet pickle relish, chopped white onions, pickled peppers, and a crunchy dill pickle spear. This is all finished off with a dash of celery salt, just for good measure. Oh, how I'm drooling just thinking of it.

This tradition of the Chicago Hot Dog dates back long before Sonic, to 1893. It was first served up at the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago. The brilliant folks who came up with the CHD were of Jewish ancestry, hence, their pork-free, Kosher awesomeness. I feel like I would have been very good friends with these people, had we all been around together. But the best way for me to pay my respects to them, is with this post. So do yourself a favor. Go to Sonic and eat a Chicago Hot Dog. And if there is no Sonic near you, make one at home. You'll thank me.

No comments:

Post a Comment