Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Water, Water, everywhere and not a drop....for a shower


Ahhh, sigh. The joys of living in a 38 story high rise apartment building. All was well until this morning. The building was pretty quiet, everyone we met seemed friendly, and there was a nice little gym up on the highest floor with a great view. All was well -- Until this morning.

Feeling a burst of rare motivation, Sean and I both went to the gym this morning, and when I came back, I was really looking forward to a nice hot shower. The water pressure in our shower was notoriously bad, but today things got much, much worse. I got in there, and right after I had lathered enough shampoo in my hair to make a pointy standup-on-its-own mohawk, the water coming out of the shower head just ended. BOOM. Poof. Just like that. All the water dried up.
And there I stood, freezing, soapy, and very, very bitter.
$1500 dollars in rent and I can't even take a warm shower.
So after standing there a few moments I realized that my neighbor was taking a shower at the same time and that there just wasn't enough water to go around. Listening to the water run freely in his/her shower, I was green with envy. I waited 5 minutes, 10 minutes, and finally 15 minutes while they enjoyed the liberal hot water, and I had none. I even banged on the shower wall to bring some attention to the situation. Maybe they just didn't realize I was below them with hypothermia setting in, close to tears. I thought, there are third world countries that get better water pressure in their showers than this. How can this be?!

This was the first time I missed Friendship Ave and the powerful jetstream of hot water I had. Oh, the little things. And to think, I never really appreciated a hot shower with water.

So the rest of today will be spent finding the silver lining of this all. Our water bills will be very, very tiny. That extra soap in my hair gave it some extra volume and bounce. And my plan is to just start showering at 3:30am when nobody else is awake. Until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment